View Single Post
Old 05-20-15, 01:42 PM
cthenn

Bikes: 2023 Canyon Aeoroad CF SL, 2015 Trek Emonda SLR, 2002 Litespeed Classic, 2005 Bianchi Pista, Some BikesDirect MTB I never ride.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 647 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by Leinster
On Sunday at the ToC, Daniel Oss, former leadout man for Cannondale, gave Peter Sagan, former sprinter for Cannondale, a leadout for the mid-stage time bonus sprint at a time when Sagan's understaffed Tinkoff team were all too exhausted to raise a gallop after chasing every breakaway all day. In the past, Contador has had former teammates pace him up mountains when he's run out of support himself. You see riders on opposite teams working together all the time to form and/or chase down breakaways, and share food and bottles while doing it. Any of these things had/have a much bigger effect on the eventual race result than a friend helping out a friend behind the peloton in the last kms of a flat stage.

And as said before, the UCI and race organisers the world over constantly pick and choose which regulations to uphold and when. This is a weird time to enforce a rule when they let 30 guys jump a railroad crossing at Paris Roubaix.
Originally Posted by Gallo
+1 I have never heard of the rule enforced in the past and a really odd time to enforce it. A rule is a rule unless it is a UCI rule. Subject to enforcement depending the race director to interpretation or disposition that day. An act of pure class and sportsmanship sullied by a dubiously run organization. And what specifically is helping another rider/team anyway? Because everyday the peloton helps each other regardless of team. what breakaway would succeed unless riders from other teams work together. I think this rule was made for situations where riders colluded to win or lose stages for payoffs and this clearly was not the case. This was helping a mate. This penalty sucks and a weak interpretation of the rule in my view.
Actually, the rule is pretty straight forward. There is no mis-interpretation going on. It's black and white.

All riders may render each other such minor services as lending or exchanging food, drink, spanners or accessories.
The lending or exchanging of tubular tyres or bicycles and waiting for a rider who has been dropped or involved in an accident shall be permitted only amongst riders of the same team. The pushing of one rider by another shall in all cases be forbidden, on pain of disqualification.

So...riders can give each other bidons, food, etc, and furthermore there is nothing in there about colluding within the boundaries of racing. Colluding happens all the time, as witnessed just recently by Aru and Contador while trying to drop Uran. Breakaways amongst different teams is collusion by definition. So, there is really no argument that Porte should not have gotten a penalty, it's as clear as day in the rules.