View Single Post
Old 05-20-15, 05:01 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5810 Post(s)
Liked 2,637 Times in 1,462 Posts
Originally Posted by desconhecido
The problem is that when someone has a crash and then ends up under water, reason and logic vanish with the first swallow/breath of water. People who are in danger of drowning often panic violently and irrationally. Trying to logically and reasonably figure out why you can't get upright in three feet of water when you've already aspirated and are probably disoriented from the crash -- it's tough. That's why water boarding works.
Yes, I'm very familiar with that phenomenon, but as this case proves there's a decent chance of escape either by yourself or with help from onlookers when you fall into water. OTOH dropping 4-6 feet onto rocks is much less forgiving.

It's still a matter of riding in control, and a governmental/policy decision about what kind of safety net (guard rail) is called for. Knowing how some people ride on MUPs over here, I wonder if a water hazard might be a fitting solution.

Toe clips, clipless, no clips are all secondary issues (or lower than that). You don't make bike riding decisions based on the off chance that you'll fall into the drink.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.