View Single Post
Old 05-21-15, 12:19 AM
Ramona_W
Casually Deliberate

Bikes: 1995 Trek 820, 1994 Trek 930 (project), 1/2 of a 1980s Colin Laing tandem

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Stucky
Hah! I had a Sears bike too, at one point- a gold 5-speed! And yeah, while I do enjoy being an adult and being able toi make own decisions; the point is, that I really don't see big difference as far as my rides and enjoyment of them, now that I can afford "good bikes" vs. when I rode POS's/BSO's. Sure, it's nice to know you own quality- but that quality manifests itself more when you're looking at the bike or cleaning it than when you are riding it. And I'm not one to care about proclaiming "Look at me! I can afford a fancy bike!".

The hills are still hard to get up (In fact, they're harder now!)...and the descents are still fun.....
I love going up hills even on the tandem. It's going downhill I'm not fond of. Too darned fast. Maybe if I'd kept riding after I first learned as a kid, I'd have enjoyed them. As it is, I didn't learn to ride again for roughly 45 years. Now that I do it again, I'm kind of disappointed. I had hoped that once I could ride a bike, I could do all the things I envied the other kids the ability to do like jump on a bike and go to the movies or to a friend's house to hang out or to the park to lie in the sun. But we all got older in the meantime and we have jobs and there's a lot less time to do those things and/or people think it's silly to be trying to do them by bike. *sigh*