Old 05-21-15, 01:00 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
I'll throw in something our ride does that might be useful. Our Thursday ride is no drop and goes whatever pace it needs to to stay together (generally regrouping at the top of climbs, I'm sure it's boring for strong people). Our Sunday morning ride is the long one, and it is also no drop. It starts out in one big group and is flattish and quick but not flying until we get out of town and to the first main climb (30 minutes in maybe? For a speed gauge, I can hang no problem). At that point it's allowed to split into an A/B group. Most people hang on the A as long as possible (this climb is somewhat steep and a few minutes long, and then followed immediately by a couple more exactly like it) and then drift back into a B group. A few team members are designated as sweep, and they'll ride at the back and start dropping back with the first dropped riders (read: my fat ass). The A group continues to hammer as much as they'd like the rest of the time, slowly shedding people, who will drift back and get caught up in the B group. The ride is relatively rural and the roads are all very well marked on the pavement with multiple arrows and a good icon of the team. B group rides no drop with a sweep, stopping at the top of hills if necessary to regroup.

Our rides also stop at every red light and stop sign and obey all traffic laws, center lines, etc. You're asked nicely to obey the rules, and if it keeps happening you're asked not to return. The team has a very strong leader who is nice but doesn't take any crap, especially if you're endangering people or being an *******.

Well, I guess not every person at the stop sign. The group rides as an amoeba, so the first people stop, and everyone else stops, and then once it's clear people roll the stop sign, until it's not clear anymore and then they stop again. If every single person stopped individually, the group would never get through the stop sign and back together. If the group gets split by a red light, it waits and rejoins after the light, we don't run lights.