Old 05-21-15, 01:44 PM
davester

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Speciale Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1982 Raleigh "International"

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 932 Post(s)
Liked 1,317 Times in 491 Posts
Here's a detailed discussion of this issue: Park Tool Co. » ParkTool Blog » Chain Installation - Derailleur Bikes

Older (i.e. pre-8-speed) chains don't have any issues that I know of being split and then reassembled with a chain tool. However newer chains definitely do. Note that Shimano chain pins have mushroomed heads that are destroyed whenever you use a chain tool to break the chain and you must use a special rivet when you replace these. If you reuse the regular link pin then I think you're at high risk of breaking the chain on the road. I don't think SRAM chains have the same type of chain pins but I avoid splitting them with a chain tool and since all SRAM chains come with a master link this seems to strongly suggest that you should always split them using that rather than a chain tool. I did break a SRAM chain while riding about a year ago and I had been messing with lengthening/shortening the chain using a chain tool, so I'm guessing that the chain tool may have resulted in a damaged link pin.

I know for sure that the manufacturers of really narrow chains (10 speed etc) say to never reuse link pins.

My policy these days is to always use a master link to separate or lengthen the chain.