Old 05-21-15, 11:17 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18421 Post(s)
Liked 4,537 Times in 3,370 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclotoine
Agreed and most chains will go in the Ultra Sonic at least once a year. If the bike is seeing high enough mileage to need cleaning annually, there is no way the chain will last two seasons anyway.
I don't have an ultrasonic cleaner. However, I'll probably replace a couple of chains this summer,, as soon as the weather dries up. I'm getting in a fair amount of wet weather riding, and perhaps should plan on a couple of chains a year between the bikes.

Originally Posted by dddd
I would say +1 on your marking the pushed pins and carrying a chain tool, but have you ever thought what would happen if you were perhaps grabbing a shift as a car went by, and the chain broke?
As mentioned, I've broken a few chains without a crash, but so far, they have all been 3/32 chains, never 9s (or thinner). I have also had my chain skip, and perhaps occasionally "skating", and managed to survive the ordeal.

For whatever reason, the HG73 9s chains I get are normally packaged with quick links, and not the replaceable pins, and I'd rather use pins than quick links.