View Single Post
Old 05-22-15, 08:07 AM
GordoTrek

Bikes: 1962 Carlton Franco-Suisse Custom,1968 Raleigh DL-1/Tourist, 1971 Holdsworth Professional, 1973 Holdsworth Mistral,1973 Raleigh Gran Sport,1974 Raleigh Grand Prix, 1993 Trek 2200 Composite, 2011 Trek 7.3FX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
don't have any pics, but i have a super course story,
Stopped by a local thrift shop that was liquidating, they advertised on CL that they had a lot of bikes. They never had any pictures of anything good, but the ad said they had too many to list.
Most of the stuff the owner had was BSOs and bike boom era stuff. He did have a nice Stumpjumper outfitted in Deore XT, he wanted 350 for it , a hardrock for 150, and a few junior trek mtn bikes.

he says he has a few older ten speeds upstairs, so i hurriedly go check them out, a low end Moto, and a Schwinn Le Tour Mixte, both for 125, the schwinn was in really good shape, with a great shade of Red.
then i spotted a ten speed over in the corner, classic Raleigh Green, at first i thought it was a grand prix, but then after closer inpsection i saw it was a super course, in MINT condition. Brooks was still intact, didn't even have the PO groove on it. no marks on the rims at all, looks like it was purchased then hung up. I get excited, so i go down to ask the owner how much for the super course, he smiles and says, well i've got alot into it.. (not sure what he means by that considering the bike is all original) he says he can do 700 for it! i laughed and said that bike isn't anywhere near that price, i said in that condition it should be less, i explained the Raleigh hierarchy and frame details to him and offer 100 bucks for it. He counters with 300, (for somebody who has a lot into it, he dropped 400 off the price without even haggling) I declined, the bike was my size but it was 1974, which I already have, and I couldn't justify it. I wasn't in the market for another Super Course, and that's why I low balled him. He then shows me the rest of his collection around the place, he had a few more BSOs in the basement, and tried to sell me an Aluminum Huffy BMX bike from the 90s for 500 dollars. I smiled and thanked him for his time..

No wonder why he's going out of business..