Old 05-22-15, 10:18 AM
FastJake
Constant tinkerer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by cloozoe
Got it, thanks. Does that mean, in effect, that the front of my bike would be higher than it is now? Is the crown height measurement the distance from the axle to the top of the crown? If so, I could measure existing fork and answer my own question.

I've been looking at cx forks as they seem to be the road forks with the bosses for v-brakes. Will the (presumably wider as well as higher) clearance position the brake bosses too far from my rim?
The front end of your bike may be marginally higher, but CX forks are not tall and it will be a negligible difference you do not need to worry about. This is not like putting a 100mm suspension fork on a previously rigid MTB. Even then it's often not an issue.

The brake bosses will not be too far from your rim. CX bikes are meant for bigger tires but road bikes and CX bikes both use the same width-range of rims. So, no issue there. You may have to flip around the spacers on your brake pads if you want the arms to be an optimal distance from the rims.

I won't question the merits of upgrading to a carbon fork but if you're going through the hassle and expense I would recommend taking the time to weigh your current fork and make sure you look at listed weights of carbon forks before you buy one. Some carbon forks are heavy! And if you don't lose any weight, what's the point?