View Single Post
Old 05-23-15, 01:58 AM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 220 Posts
Originally Posted by steve_cay
And Giant seems to have the least expensive of the big "quality" manufacturers. Now that usually means a bump down in some components on a seemingly comparable bike, but can also mean a bump up in components when you get the "higher" Giant model for similar price as the competitors.

I.e.
Roam 1 is same price with much better components (Deore vs Altus, 10 speed vs 8 speed, more suspension travel).
Roam 2 is much cheaper, and still has some better components (i.e. Acera vs Altus rear, 9 speed vs 8 speed, more suspension travel).

In at least one case where I have a similar (but more expensive) Trek (Mens DS) to a Giant (woman's Roam 2), the Giant was 2lbs heavier ... perhaps that is where some of the "value" goes.
That might be the result of Giant user a heavier grade of aluminium on their Roam/Roves compared to the Trek's Alpha Gold Aluminium.

On a model that isn't released in the USA, but is in Canada, the Roam XR1 has an upgraded version of the Aluminium used to make the frame, and that might be more in keeping with Trek's Alpha Gold.