Old 05-23-15, 05:44 AM
cntryislandboy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks guys for the input. I feel a little better about putting some money into a cheaper bike now. Probably should have done this along time ago but oh well.

Originally Posted by Johnny Mullet
That should make a great commuter. I would probably do away with the suspension fork or if you can, lock them out. No need for suspension unless you are riding offroad. If the components work well, no need to upgrade, so slap a rear rack on it and enjoy!
I'm not sure if the front fork locks or not, I'll have to check but I'm guessing it doesn't. I may not need the front suspension but I'll probably just keep it until it wears out or I get every thing else set up the way I want it first. The components work very well and won't be replacing those until they are wore out either. I'm curious how long they will last in the beach area type atmosphere. I'm guessing a while because it will only be in that type environment a couple months a year at most.

Originally Posted by scroca
I'd put a rack on the back. But I don't like to put heavy stuff in panniers for fear of wearing them out before their time. So for beer, I'd think along the lines of folding baskets instead of panniers, or even a basket up front for the stuff you don't want stressing the seams of panniers. Either that or just get cheap panniers and figure on replacing as needed.
I was wondering about the heavier stuff to. I was thinking maybe a milk crate to the rear rack and just drop in the beer. Hauling the mower pictured above was easy. But that's also my kid hauler trailer folded down with a board on top to put the mower. I'm thinking of making a smaller trailer for hauling heavier stuff. Maybe like a 2x3 trailer. I know 1 case of beer or gallon of milk isn't to bad. But if I make a full grocery run that's going to get heavy quick. I also don't plan on getting top of the line gear either. Some where middle of the road to almost middle of the road. Call this a test bike if you will. If it all works out and I get to move to the beach one day like I hope, I'll be building an everyday bike because I will have no need for a car, at least that is my dream.