View Single Post
Old 05-24-15, 01:35 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18378 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
Can I ask how much the seller is asking for the frame? I'll put in an offer of $100 as-is on such an old junker

I'm not sure if it is a respray. If it is, it would be a very old respray. However, with the original graphics in such bad shape, I'd probably plan on going ahead and stripping and repainting anyway.

I can't tell from the photos, but there appears to be either an orange-peal look or a metallic look to the paint which also is probably not Colnago.

It is possible that Colnago used chrome fork crowns on all of their bikes, but polished some, and painted others. My 68/69 has some rust spots showing through the chromed fork crown.

I noticed a little white peaking through the paint at the top of the downtube, near the head tube lug. Mine has a few layers of paint.

Burgundy --> White --> Blue

But, someone suggested that perhaps it was a respray (factory respray?) (I bought it in Italy in 1982, when it would have been 13 or 14 years old). Anyway, the burgundy is probably a primer, but I've always been puzzled about the white layer.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
RustyTubes.jpg (106.7 KB, 248 views)