View Single Post
Old 05-24-15, 03:18 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1069 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 505 Posts
Originally Posted by berner
In general, we have no choice regarding our birth or death. All the choices are between those two points. So I like billydonn's way - ride your bike while you can and that last point in your life will be along in it's own time.
No choice with birth, but most definitely with death.

Originally Posted by RISKDR1
I think that pivot point where life is no longer worth living varies significantly with each person. I watched my father land a yellowtail when he was 89. When he was 95 he told me that he felt he still had a lot of life left in him to look forward to and that he still felt there were things he wanted to do. At 96 when he was dieing he said he had hoped he was going to make it to 100 but he was realistic. He died that year. I am 70 and feel I still have bike riding to do, rivers to fish and mountains to climb but at less intensity but still satisfying. I will see my first grandchild in about 6 months. I have no set expiration date. Having said that, I hope I can leave on my own terms when it is time.
Tuesday is my prostate cancer surgery. In 3 weeks is my appointment for total left wrist replacement surgery. Once that heals there will be the total right shoulder joint surgery. I refuse to have the knees worked on because even with the pain, I was able to walk my 5K, 10K, half marathon, full marathon, half marathon, 10K and 5K in consecutive days for 71 miles in 7 days then another full marathon 10 days later. 4 weeks ago I walked 32.5 miles in our local overnight Relay For Life event having been diagnosed with the prostate cancer-Gleason 9 just 2 weeks before. Had a 3D-PMB this past Thursday with a 16mm Foley overnight and taken out Friday AM then drove 3+ hours home a biked 31 miles yesterday with doctors approval. He said if the Foley was not able to be removed, hang the bag from the bars and go ride. I am hoping for his approval again on Tuesday so I can ride this Saturday with the bag. Rode another 45 miles today on same 40lb hybrid I rode yesterday with spring seat reversed so as to minimize pressure.

When I can not accomplish things I want to do in the future and if I am becoming a burden, I WILL check out.

Originally Posted by RR3
Just call Hospice when the time comes, they will take you out in a week.

In the meantime, ride.
My FIL was 2+ weeks with hospice and it was not what I would want for myself.

P.S.-I am 6 weeks post bi-lateral Orchiectomy with medication for 100% elimination of testosterone and sprinted yesterday to 27mph on my 40lb. hybrid. The significance of the 32.5 miles during the Relay For Life was for half my age this July and for my birthday ride I will be riding 132 miles or 2x age + 2.

Last edited by OldTryGuy; 05-24-15 at 03:42 PM.