Old 05-24-15, 07:10 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,831 Times in 1,997 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
Thanks for the notes.

There are a few things that indicate that my frame is an older frame, including the holes in the bottom bracket, and a paucity of brazeons.

It has two brazeons, the above bottom bracket cable guide, and the rear derailleur cable stop. I have the clovers on the 3 lugs, but not on the fork crown.

I am pretty sure that I have a factory paint job, but I don't know the history prior to 1982.

Here are some photos from last year.
Colnago - Picture post thread - Page 72

Yes, I know it is rough... it has been well used for many years.
The metalwork looks very similar to mine, same head lugs, BB piercings, fork crown, hardly any braze ons.
Greg Softley has a very nice restored example with the original graphics.
The transfers on your bike are I am pretty sure from '72-73, resprays fairly early in a bike's service are uncommon, but not unheard of.
I had a bike factory resprayed just 2 years after initial delivery way way back, lots of travel for racing and I wanted a new color.

Your bike's images from the other thread do show an interesting comparison between the early "clovers" and the cutouts shown in the bike referenced in this thread by iab.
The cutouts on that bike, especially the lower head lug are very much like was used in '72 on till the investment cast lug introduction. In '72 onwards, Almost ALL (nothing is absolute) of the frames I have seen had only the lower head lug cutout.

I view it as plain lugs were just faster and easier, for Ernesto as it has been obvious over time, profit is very important. Enough was done to keep the artisan reference, and nest the profit.

Last edited by repechage; 05-24-15 at 07:16 PM.