View Single Post
Old 05-27-15, 04:58 AM
2 Piece

Bikes: Motobecane Century Pro Ti Disc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I replied to this thread when it was actually another thread and not part "this helmet thread 2" In post 1227 the op ask "My question is this, Is their any merit to the horror stories i hear about wearing helmets? Most notably the stories about someone getting their spinal column damaged at the neck?" My response was in post 1235 "I would like to ask all those who have had a big crash and the helmet saved your "life", what caused the crash in the first place? A helmet is no substitute for good riding skills." And low an behold the responses were IMO crazy, like "does it really matter why it happened" or "cause of accident discussion is basically irrelevant" I can see it now, the next jumbo jet crash kills a bunch of people and they say don't worry about finding the cause of the accident, maybe it will not happen again.
A helmet is a safety device. You wear one to help protect your self from unforeseen circumstances. But the most important safety device you already have (for most people) is inside the helmet (brain), when used Properly. No helmet is going to save you from making Bad decisions. If you can not learn, or Accept Responsibility, from what caused you to have the crash in the first place, you will have another one. Just like that video link in post 1261, it suppose to show that "accidents" happen. Well, to me it shows a guy in a testosterone filled pace line going to fast to control his "vehicle" (bicycle). Notice the rider in front did not hit the objects in the road, nor did any of the other riders, nor did any of the others hit the fallen cyclist. It only takes a split second, and the faster you are going the less of a split second you have.
I never meant to condone, justify the use or non use of a helmet. I just want cyclist to understand that when they ride in a manner that they can maintain full control of their bicycle they will probably stop having "accidents" in which they 'use" a helmet.
I would recommend that anyone interested do a web search on the subject. Very interesting studies. One of them shows that the USA has the largest helmet use and also has the most head neck injuries per country.
Please, next time you post a helmet saved me in a crash story, please take a good brutal evaluation of the incident and post that along with your story. Everyone gets to learn that away.
Piece out, be safe.