View Single Post
Old 05-27-15, 05:16 PM
Needles

Bikes: '87 Giant Iguana, Nishiki designed Kamra Aero II, Schwinn Loop folder, 1985 Fuji Pallisade Mixte

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I don't think there are enough categories. First, I ride because it's fun. If it was not fun, I would not do it---or at least not as much. I do not run. Running, for me is not fun. In college, my girlfriend ran marathons. She talked me into running, saying that when you reach 3 miles, then it starts being fun. I got up to 6-7 miles. It never became fun--- my back hurt, my knees hurt, my feet hurt; plus it was like the scenery never changed! I went back to riding. Second, it can be like moving meditation. It clears my head. Sometimes I just have to stop my mind. Riding can do that for me, sort of like being on a motorcycle, but more laid back. Riding also is utilitarian. I don't commute to work. I do 12 hour night shifts at a hospital that's 22 miles away. I would have to ride at least 2 hours to get there and two to get home. Since a 12 hour shift usually requires me to be there 13 hours, I can not see adding another 4 hours to my work day. I DO run errands, on my days off, or ride to a nearby (5 miles) microbrewery on occasion. I'd call that utilitity riding, basically just getting around. I'm not trying to go faster than anybody; I'm not trying to do more miles than anybody--- I just ride.