View Single Post
Old 05-28-15, 05:28 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1069 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 505 Posts
Just saw this thread. Wife and I have been walking since 2010 when we walked the Walt Disney World Family Fun Run 5K, the start of Marathon Weekend in January. This past January she only walked the 10K, usually she would do the half marathon but last year she and daughter got bumped way too many times so no more WDW Half but will still walk the Celebration Half Marathon which is 2 weeks after Disney.

Myself, being the more energetic biker that I am, I started Chi Walking-Danny Dreyer after having done that 2010 5K. This past January I completed another Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend Dopey Challenge, starts on Thursday with a 5K, Friday a 10K, Saturday a half marathon and Sunday a full Marathon. On another forum I frequent, a poster brought up the challenge of a palindrome event so I followed the full marathon with a half marathon on Monday morning starting at 3AM, then a 10K on the Disney cruise ship Tuesday morning and a 5K Wednesday with wife on Disney's Castaway Cay. 7 days=71 miles + another 9 miles late Wednesday and Thursday back on ship then 10 days later the Celebration Marathon for 106+ miles in January.

Chi Walking minimizes knee pressure and allows for rapid cadence, in my case up to 220 steps per minute for an under 7 minute/mile pace for short sprinting. Best walking half marathon was 2:11:10 at a 10mpm pace and marathon of 4:56:48. The Chi Walking method has a mid-sole strike so no locked knee or shock from heel contact and by using a forward lean, gravity assists.

Having been recently diagnosed with prostate cancer, I walked in our 12 hour overnight Venice, FL. Relay For Life last month doing 32.5 miles which is half my age come July.

After wife retires this August, we have the Space Coast Half Marathon in November, Marathon Weekend next January and then we will be looking for events around the country where we can walk 5K to half marathon distances.