Old 05-28-15, 10:05 AM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 103 Posts
Originally Posted by Edonis13
This is the first race video I've made. It's the last 2 laps from my race on Saturday.

Don't hesitate to give me pointers. I'm new at this.
That was good. You did a great job moving up within the group, it looked really tight and I didn't see any weirdness.

Next time your teammate can tell you when to start, and you can wait until that point. The teammate should worry about getting swarmed, and the later he can tell you to go, the better it is for him. He should keep an eye out to the sides (and look down to look back a touch), and when he gets unnerved enough then he can yell at you to go.

If you had a planned start point for the leadout (it seemed you did, at least a general vague idea of about how far you can go) then the idea is to wait in position until it's time to go, even if there's no swarm. As it was you were only 50-70 meters short of executing on the plan - if you'd led into the last turn that would have been about all a sprinter could ask for.

That final turn screams for an inside line leadout. You/leadout go screaming up the right curb, sprinter on your wheel. No one can go around to the outside because it's too risky (they'll get curbed at the turn exit) and no one can go on the inside because you're there. There would only be one real possible line through the turn, one lane wide, and if anyone deviates from it they'll have to brake/slow/crash. You barely clear the curb, sprinter has literally one guy on his wheel, and therefore has a better chance of carrying it to the line.

*edit - I mean early apex. You go up the right curb, you turn in as soon as possible, and you'll barely clear the left curb exiting the turn /edit*

Your teammate, in the future, can also direct your leadout. There's a right curve where you don't move right. A move might come up the side and your teammate should be looking to see what's going on next to him. If riders start to swarm he should yell to let you know, like "right, right!" etc. I don't know the situation to the sides or back but that was one thing that stuck out.

A leadout where I directed my leadout man.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson