View Single Post
Old 05-29-15, 10:22 AM
toavii

Bikes: 1989 Tommasini Super Prestige, 1985 Chris Kvale, 1977 Colnago Super, 1992 Serotta Colorado, 1984 Schwinn Cimarron

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
@toavii, if at all possible, give it at least a test ride before you break it down. You should get a feel for how it rides. This might guide how you rebuild it. I've said it often before: this model rides better than it deserves to. I don't know what magic sauce they put in it, but it is charismatic. If you go way back in this thread, you'll see that my Super Course has been my test-bed bike where I make major changes to it liberally. I've had about five different handlebars on it, and from that I concluded that a new handlebar changes a bike's personality (bikality?) more than any other change.
I took it around the block for about a mile when I got it home. Wouldn't care to do more on bikes that have been sitting this long. Especially with shot rubber and brake cables. It's has a nice feel, upgraded wheels may be part of it, but it's on the smaller side of my comfort level.

It'll probably be built up to look nice and be very rideable to serve duty as a spare bike for people. Much in the same way my '72 Super Sport does. I hope this thing can have the ride characteristics that bike has. Approachable and easy classic ride.