View Single Post
Old 05-30-15, 05:48 AM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
Most stems today use bars that are 31.8 but the specs for yours say 25.4. Look where the bars go into the stem, if there is a spacer then you can use either 25.4 or 31.8 diameter bars. I would hope it is a spacer because it will be easier to find inexpensive 31.8 bars and you will find a larger selection especially in black to match the bike. Just take out the spacer and install the 31.8. If it is truly a 25.4, then you need to find that size of bar to fit.

Next I would buy a pair of drop brake levers for caliper brakes, Tektro or Shimano are two names that come to mind. Make sure they say this on the box. Then add a front brake. Most of your braking, about 80%, is actually done by the front brake. You will need brake housing and a cable for the front brake. Last buy some bar tape and follow a YouTube video on how this is done.

The upgrade is realistically going to be about $80 and that is if you do the work yourself and find inexpensive parts.

Personally I would leave the bike alone as I love flat bars. The only thing I would do is add a front brake. Enjoy the bike as it is and if you have the itch to buy something, buy a good lock or back pack or courier bag to carry your stuff. Have fun.