View Single Post
Old 05-30-15, 05:12 PM
happybday29475

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
City Park 50+/4's Crit - 3rd of 27ish

Owing to my crash last weekend, I was feeling slightly timid about today's race, and even questioning whether I should sit it out. (A lot of my male friends, and 100% of my female friends, thought I should take a weekend off).

I decided to race but committed to take a flier - I could avoid the last lap mayhem and minimize risk of another crash, but still race, hang out with my peeps, and perhaps learn how to be successful in ways besides a final sprint.

Mid-race, after the prime, I rolled off the front, as I had done in another race. My speed for the next couple of minutes was a couple of mph higher than the pack speed prior to my attack, and I got a gap, but it only lasted a few minutes before they upped their speed reeled me back in. Some schmoe busted his butt to drag everybody up to me. Then they settled back down to a slower speed. There were no counter attacks.

I tried a couple more times, but nobody was letting me get away. I can create a separation but cannot keep it.

I screwed up the finish; the last corner was only 150m before the finish line, and obviously first into the corner was first across the line. For some lame reason I was satisfied being 3rd into the corner...maybe I was a bit tired from the attacks or maybe I was skittish from my recent crash, but whatever I didn't have the cajones when it mattered.

I'm not strong enough to ride away from the field. I am strong enough to be bored riding laps amongst the field.

Perspectives valued.