View Single Post
Old 06-01-15, 09:40 AM
dweenk

Bikes: Lots of English 3-speeds, a couple of old road bikes, 3 mountain bikes, 1 hybrid, and a couple of mash-ups

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 225 Posts
Originally Posted by Cerrig
Barn find pre-Canadian Sekine. Looks like it was purchased from a shop in suburban Chicago about 25 miles from where it ended up, so a pretty rare bird for these parts. Size is 23", a hair too small for me.

Randy Jawa has a picture of a similar one on his website. He says its a Japan made 71 Sekine GS, so we'll go with that. It was covered in 35 years of gunk, but cleaned up surprisingly well. I doubt it was used much, components look almost pristine. Very nice parts selection and great paint on a seemingly mundane frame.

Weinmann 27" x 1 1/4" alloy rims, Sanshin high flange alloy hubs, nicely made Dia Compe brakes, Sugino Maxy cranks with steel rock ring, nice Suntour downtube shifters, Suntour Spirt front der, Suntour V rear der, shorty fenders, KOBA Japan rear rack, funky quick release stem collar, SR stem, Sakae Road Champion bars. Only non-Japanese part besides the rims is the Soubitez front/rear light set. Tires are a crunchy mess, so I didn't ride it.

Looking for something in the 24" to 25" range, preferably with eyelets for a rack and fenders. A good mid to late 80s frame works too. I am in the far western suburbs of Chicago.
Your posting flew under my radar it seems. If you should decide to remove the lighting system from the bike, or a potential trader does not want it, PM me. I've been looking for a Soubitez system for a while (one that doe not require international shipping).