View Single Post
Old 06-01-15, 05:01 PM
aggst1

Bikes: 1996 Marinoni Leggero, 1978 Bianchi Superleggera, 1972 Peugeot PX-10, 2007 Specialized Rockhopper

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ncrnelson
It's an exercise in futility.
I once asked a craigslist seller if he knew the price he was asking for a 16 year old low end giant road bike was a bit high, more accurately $50 over the original msrp. He asked me in impolite language if I had ever heard of inflation. That was two years ago, the bike is still for sale.
I had a similar experience last year. Emailed the seller on craigs that I am interested in his bike but the price was way too high and politely showed him why (provided links to recent eBay sales for similar bikes, in better condition that sold for half his asking price which was marked as firm). His response was "don't you have anything better to do than bothering people on the net?" Well that bike sat for many months, and he kept lowering the price. Eventually he brought the price down to normal levels but it was six months later, and still no sale. He had the nerve to contact me after all this time if I was interested. My response was yes and I offered him an even lower price (I really didn't want another bike at the time) but never heard back. I last saw his ad a few months ago almost a year later! Bottom line, not all sellers are savvy!