Thread: My geek thread
View Single Post
Old 06-05-15, 03:06 PM
mollusk
Elite Fred

Bikes: 2009 Spooky (cracked frame), 2006 Curtlo, 2002 Lemond (current race bike) Zurich, 1987 Serotta Colorado, 1986 Cannondale for commuting, a 1984 Cannondale on loan to my son

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by mmmdonuts
Ask yourself some questions: Are you happy with Verizon and not looking to change carrier? Do you think $560 is a fair price for a Galaxy Note 4? If yes to both then it sounds like the one for you. If not then read on.

I'm a big proponent of BYOD and no contract plans when it comes to cellular service. The device premium you pay with a subsidized Verizon plan is around $360 over the 2-year contract term, add the $200 up front at BB and you pay $560. ETF starts at $350 and they hope you don't use it because sometimes you're better off when you do. The Verizon price for the Note 4 on the EDGE program is $699, same price at T-Mobile. So $560 is still better, right? But Verizon service on contract is pricier. However when you BYOD you can have some wiggle room in your plan price and the per device price. If you mention that you might jump ship their customer retention dept can cut you a deal if you're nice. You like the Note 4 so if you look at the Note 3 you'll find that it's nearly as capable as the 4, it will run Kit-Kat and Lollipop, and can be had for less than $400 new and less than $300 in used mint condition. These are 3rd party and Swappa prices for the Verizon variant, don't buy from the carrier unless it's a bargain basement clearance not tied to a contract.

I haven't used either of the Note 3 or 4 so I'll let others chime in on the tech details. What I have read is that the Note 4 was a small upgrade to the 3 where the Note 3 was a huge upgrade to the 2.
I managed to get it for less than nothing down and no activation fee, but with a continuation of my current two-year contract so I am pleased. It helped that a Verizon rep was there and it was clear that we (our family) were looking for a good deal and not adverse to changing carriers.

The only thing that will take some getting used to is the size. I can no longer use the "snack size" Ziplock and now need the "sandwich size" bag when riding.