Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Your Weekend Ride Reports - June 6/7

Where did you ride this weekend? Or during the week?
Group ride? Solo ride?
Short ride? Long ride?
Indoor ride? Outdoor ride?
What about other sports?

[HR][/HR]

Saturday -- Today Rowan and I cycled a metric century (100 km) ... on our Bike Friday Pocket Llamas (folding bikes).

We opted to do the ride out the cycleway to New Norfolk because the route was relatively, but not completely, flat ... and because it is winter here so we knew we could encounter bad weather, and the cycleway offers some shelter here and there.

The route started on the cycleway for its full length (to about 14 km) and then we were onto the road the rest of the way out to New Norfolk and a little bit beyond (to about 40 km). The road isn't too bad because it does have a shoulder most of the way, and although the traffic was fairly steady, they were, for the most part, pretty good too. Tasmania has a 1.5 metre rule, and most passed us outside 1.5 metres.

We had rain all the way out to New Norfolk ... mostly drizzle and light rain. But we knew there was a really good chance we'd be riding in the rain, so we dressed for it, and were reasonably comfortable. It did get annoying a couple times when it got a bit heavier ... and as we cycled out of New Norfolk on the way back, I was starting to get a little tired of it. However, fortunately there was next to no wind, and the temperature was decent. High about 14C.

In New Norfolk, we stopped for lunch at Banjos: Banjo's Bakery Café and had cauliflower and cheese pies + blueberry-apple danish.

After about 10 km on the way back ... just when I was starting to get a bit tired of the rain ... I noticed a little bit of sun trying to beam through the clouds, and a few minutes later, it started to shine. We only had sun for a few km, but at least the rain stopped!! We were able to dry out a bit.

So we cycled all the way back to the beginning, arriving there at the 80 km point of our ride. We grabbed a granola bar, and set off again, back up the cycleway 10 km, turn around and return. And it just started to mist again as we finished the ride.

That was the longest distance we have ridden on the folding bikes so far. It was kind of a test ride to see how we would go over that distance. We were reasonably comfortable. I was having a few back/right hip issues, but stretching seemed to help.

100.72 km in 6 hours 25 min 34 sec ... within Randonneuring time!! WooHoo!!
(Moving time was 5 hours 31 min 26 sec)

Last edited by Machka; 06-06-15 at 01:56 AM.