lostarchitect 
incazzare.

Bikes: See sig

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 38 Posts
1974-ish Raleigh Gran Sport Clubman project

Hey everyone, thought you might like a look at this. I bought this Raleigh Gran Sport on Craigslist here in NYC back in December, but just got around to finishing it up. I've always wanted one of these "lagoon blue" frames--really attractive to me. When I picked up the bike it was grungy and had obviously been in a crash at some point way back, as evidenced by the scuffed bars, hoods, pedal and saddle, but it seemed otherwise sound. It was all original down to the toe straps with the exception of the rear derailleur. I'm not sure exactly what year it is. It's a 1973 serial, but supposedly this color wasn't offered in '73. I'm guessing a '74 with a frame built in '73

Here's a "before" shot:

More before photos here: Raleigh Gran Sport - as found - Album on Imgur

After some thought (and encouragement from RHM) I decided to put the stock wheels, derailleurs and shifters aside for now and build it up as a clubman. I built a set of wheels using a Sturmey Archer alloy shell 3-speed hub, and put the bike together. I have taken it out for a couple short shakedowns and I'm happy to report that all's well. I'm very happy with it. Photos below! Let me know if you have any questions.