Old 06-07-15, 09:28 PM
Denny Crane

Bikes: Bacchetta Carbon Aero 2.0, Bacchetta Corsa 700 (SOLD), Bacchetta Giro ATT 26 and a Motobecane Le Champion Titanium.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Like Most Purchases, It Requires Some Research.

Originally Posted by Panza
I've been searching through old posts getting information about Chinese Carbon Fiber Wheelsets and I noticed that a lot of people argue that the brand name originals are superior, I have no doubt in my mind this is true. For those whom have purchased the more economic Chinese counter-parts, are you satisfied with your purchase and their performance? Bang for buck?
I am sorry not to have actual test data yet, but I can tell you about my experience. I did a lot of research, and came to the conclusion that the risk is greatest buying eBay low cost wheels. The best results seem to be with Far Sports and Yeoleo, two brands that emphasize quality rather than price. I went with Far Sports Carbon Fiber Wheels because I wanted 25 mm rims and DT Swiss hubs.

After much E-mail discussion with Windy, who was very responsive and extremely helpful, I placed the order on May 25, 2015, received a pro forma invoice on May 25, and paid via PayPal on May 26. I ordered the FSC38CM-25 wheels, with UD matte finish, and with DT Swiss straight pull hubs. I also ordered two sets of Swisstop Black Prince brake pads for carbon wheels. FSC included a set of their house brand brake pads, two extra spokes, the titanium skewers, and the spacer ring for a 10 speed cassette on the 11 speed hub.

When the wheels were ready, Windy sent me several photos via E-mail. I approved the wheels. My wheels shipped on June 1 and arrived at my California home on June 5. Most of the people reading this do not remember the 1960’s and 70’s, but for those who do, China was “Red China” or “Communist China” and we in the West had absolutely no contact. China was a big mystery, “behind the Iron Curtain.” It is astonishing that we can now communicate and order things via Email and have them shipped here in 5 days.

The wheels arrived well packaged in a corrugated (cardboard) container with foam bags over the wheels and Styrofoam blocks separating the wheels. The accessories were readily visible in a cardboard tray. All of the cardboard was of very good quality. The Chinese carrier EMS turned the parcel over to the USPS as Priority Mail.

In anticipation of the wheels arriving, I mounted new Conti 4000s II tires on an old aluminum wheel, to stretch the bead. The tires were much easier to mount on the FarSports wheel after being inflated on an aluminum wheel for several days. I wanted to avoid using tire levers, even the plastic ones. I used Zipp 20 mm rim tape and Kenda 700 x 23/25 mm tubes with 60 mm valve stems. The 60 mm valve stem looks good with the 38 cm rims, though a 48 mm threaded stem would work with most pumps. I mounted a new SRAM cassette. Everything went together as one would expect. The wheels look very good. They spin nicely. They also have identifying safety decals and a factory decal inside the rim. I did not order the Far Sports decals, though I would consider the black on black in the future.

Fortunately, I am recovering from a herniated disc. Unfortunately, I am not yet able to ride up steep hills, so I am holding off mounting the new wheels until I recover a little more and my first ride will be a positive experience. I will promptly update this post when I put some miles on the wheels.

UPDATE: After riding on the wheels for several months, I am very happy with them. They handle well with 700 x 25 mm Conti 4000s. They look great. My speeds immediately improved on the two rides I took before I had knee surgery. I have accidentally hit a few small potholes and the wheels held up. The only negative experience I had was one of the skewers being loose. HOWEVER, it should be noted that when I exited a restroom at the beach there was a kid admiring my bike. The loose wheel happened within 5 minutes. I suspect the kid messed with it. Nonetheless, I changed to my DT Swiss skewers.

FYI, I ride a recumbent Bacchetta Carbon Aero 2.0, and inflate to 90 (front) and 95 psi. After every ride I reduce the pressure on the sides of the wheel by letting air out of the tire. I don't know if it is necessary, but many people recommend it for carbon wheels. It doesn't take much longer to pump up the tires from 40 psi than it does to top them off from 80.

Finally, every year around my birthday, I ride my age in miles. Next week, I plan to do the ride on the Far Sports wheels. Despite being older, I expect to finish 66 miles faster than I did 65 last year.

UPDATE: After at least a thousand miles, I am very happy with the wheels. I rode 72 miles on my birthday, and enjoyed the feel and sound of the wheels. I have never switched back to my aluminum rims. After adding Watteam Powerbeat crank based power meters, I sold my Velocity/Powertap rear wheel. I saved a set of Velocity A23s just in case I do a ride with a long mountain descent and want constant braking. The FarSports wheels have remained true, and no problems have developed. I occasionally complain that the DT Swiss hubs seem to lose rotational speed on long uphill grades. ;-)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
FSC38CM-25 (1).jpg (93.4 KB, 97 views)
FSC38CM-25 (2).jpg (91.6 KB, 94 views)
FSC38CM-25 (3).jpg (94.8 KB, 88 views)
FSC38CM-25.jpg (91.6 KB, 89 views)

Last edited by Denny Crane; 05-30-16 at 05:32 PM. Reason: More Experience with the Wheels.