View Single Post
Old 06-09-15, 03:13 AM
elcruxio

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 223 Posts
I had actually pretty bad anterior pelvic tilt, bad enough to cause quite a bit of lower back pain and hinder my mobility overall.

I've done a lot of things to now almost completely fix this issue (it only shows anymore if I'm tired) but all of those changes stem from one thing.

I stopped using heeled shoes and started using minimalist/barefoot shoes with thin flexible soles and absolutely no heel. This allowed me to realize that
- my hip muscles were imbalaced and the firing patterns were all over the place.
- due to the hip issues my legs were all wonky and folded inwards at the knees
- my glutes aren't weak, but they weren't firing at all in day to day activities
- due to using heeled shoes I was walking all wrong
- my posture was bad since trying to stand up straight fired the wrong muscles it on worsened the issue.

So I started fixing things
- I started running in minimalist shoes to stregthen the feet, legs, hips and core. Every cyclist should run, preferably minimalistically. Now that summer is here I've also started running barefoot (it is exhausting for the feet but well worth it)
- I tried to see what's wrong with the muscle firing patterns and started consciously fixing it activating the muscles consciously. A good posture is very tightly tied to tight glutes and core.
- my legs caving in was due to the side glute things not activating so I started activating those consciously and also more importantly, walking more with the outside foot and also pedaling a bicycle more with the outside foot.
- I fixed my walking. Instead of walking with my hip flexors I now walk with my glutes. My step is also a lot softer since I have zero shock absorbtion other than my feet
- my new job having a standing desk has allowed me to make immense strides in a very short amount of time. Just being on your feet more is hugely important, hence running should be a part of cycling training.

Bad 'supportive' maximalist heeled shoes were one of my biggest problems. When you ditch those you'll immediately notice the things wrong with your lower body. A human should be comfortable walking/running barefoot, if you're not, something needs fixing