View Single Post
Old 06-09-15, 09:18 AM
txcrash

Bikes: 2015 Tread 1.1 - Commuter, 2009 Allez Triple - Group Rides, 2015 Rockhopper comp - Mud and roots, 90's Burley Duet Tandem - Fast times with the kid, Electra 1 Cruiser - Slow times with the kid, Several projects, critical case of n+1, far past s-1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RISKDR1
as a competitive outdoor shooter I need to read wind and estimate speed and angle all the time. I think most people over estimate wind velocity. I have had fellow shooters estimate wind speed at 20 mph when in fact my Kestral wind meter calls it at 8. Remember, if you are riding at 25 mph into a 0 wind you effectively have a 25 mph wind in your face. That is not that strong. If you rode into a 25 mph wind I think the average guy would have a hard time going 2 mph for more than a mile, maybe a lot less. Try going 5 mph into that 25 mph wind. That is equivalent to riding 30 mph.
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
Get prepared for the onslaught, my friend. No one questions posters' claims of wind speed and comes away unscathed.

But regarding your equivalence of 5 mph into a 25 mph headwind with going 30 mph with no headwind, it really doesn't work that way. See for yourself on www.bikecalculator.com In the drops 10 mph into a 25 mph headwind takes about 220 watts. 35 mph with no headwind takes a whopping 770 watts. Or at least so says the calculator.
Originally Posted by RISKDR1
those calculators don't consider my huge broad shoulders and thick skin which I shall certainly need this morning.

I ride mostly on a path that takes me north-south. 8-15, sometimes 20 mile head/ tail winds are frequent.

At a hard but sustainable pace I'm around 18 with no headwind, with a 15 mph headwind, that's more like 12. This is on an a mtb (calculator agrees).

Unfortunately, my dumb ass can't figure out that the wind is usually coming from the south, and I tend to ride north first... So the second half of my ride is into the wind. Good part, thoug, is that there's no turning back early this way.

25 mile days are disheartening into the wind...