View Single Post
Old 06-09-15, 05:47 PM
rholland1951

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Liked 1,750 Times in 891 Posts
With the afternoon air warm, moist, and windy, and the weather radar looking ominous, I made a bet with myself that I could have a quick ride out to Lexington Center and back and be home before the rain started. Had a nice ride out, along with lots of other folks who made similar bets. We were all scurrying like chipmunks under masses of dark clouds. Including the chipmunks.

I rode past a guy playing a beautiful resophonic guitar in the little park at Bow Street, Lexington, and hoped he had the sense to bring that thing in out of the rain, preferably before the rain started. I continued West, however, having only myself and my trusty LHT to answer for. No rain yet at the turnaround, and I was starting to feel like I might just make it home dry. I started a fast descent Arlington-bound, passed Maple Street, got to Arlington's Great Meadow, and ... the rain started, of course. Not a downpour, but not a drizzle either, frank, wind-driven showers. This cooled my hot head off nicely, and reminded me how much I actually enjoy riding in a little rain on a warm day. I continued homeward; a well-prepared pedestrian raised an umbrella, a couple of cyclists sheltered under a couple of overpasses, others pulled to the side of the trail and broke out rain gear. The rest of us simply got wet, including one woman in an elegant dress riding a mixte, apparently a commuter.

Arrived home in due course, wet and happy.

That's the beauty of recreational rides: whatever happens, I asked for it.

rod