View Single Post
Old 06-11-15, 08:14 AM
CoMotionRider

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DirtRoadRunner
A 1 lb difference in frame weight is negligible (a whopping 4% if you compare a 24 lb bike to a 25 lb bike), and very few riders would even notice it.

On the other hand, a 7 lb difference (going from a 18 lb bike to a 25 lb bike) is a 40% increase an is very noticeable. I notice it every time I alternate between my two bikes.

A pound or two of frame or component weight is barely noticeable, and will make a negligible difference in climbing when all things are equal. When it starts getting to 4,5, 6, or 7 lbs, the difference is immediately discrenable as soon as you pedal away.

A DCD with the same wheels/tires/components as a Vaya will climb just marginally faster (though it will handle better). Neither bike is a good setup for flying up hills. My point is that switching to the DCD from the Vaya may result in better handling, but won't result in faster climbing because they are still both heavy, steel bikes.
How heavy are you?
If you are 175 lbs and the bike weights 25 lbs the one pund difference in total weight is .5%.

If you want the Vaya to climb faster
1. Put on lighter tires, some nice 28mm
2. If you want to spend some $, get lighter wheels and reduce the rotating mass, it will help with acceleration.
3. have the engine work on climbs. I always like the look on peoples face when I pass going up a hill on my Tandem or my Vaya.

If you just want a new frame, then go for it.