Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

Bikes: Emonda SL6

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5721 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by Alias530
I simply don't see the value in group riding. I could probably count on two hands the number of times I've ever ridden with anyone but myself and feel it has had no impact on my riding. In fact, I feel it has IMPROVED my riding, because I take fewer breaks when I'm solo.

I'm just saying I'd prefer to get the initial learning curve out of the way by myself so I'm not wasting precious coaching time learning the basics. I'm not ruling a coach out, just not ready for it. I don't think that's a mediocre attitude, I think it's a smart one.
To each his own, I guess, but I feel like you should at least try a fast group ride to see if you enjoy it. You already have the basics down with regular rides, so you're not going to be swerving around mid-pack trying to figure out how your shifters work (unless you get a bike with Claris). It's one of those things that can seem intimidating or useless from a fitness perspective until you try it and find a good group.

Plus, you said you're engaged. I got married a year ago, and I don't know what your work life/finacee are like, but I've found that since I got married my social life has gradually been whittled down to bike rides because I have no time for much else. That's great because I love the group of people I've met through cycling, so I can be social while also getting a workout in. I'd rather spend 3 hours with friends riding out on rural roads than 3 hours playing xbox or watching football like the pre-marriage version of myself. Food for thought.