Old 06-12-15, 12:08 PM
jonwvara 

Bikes: 1966 Dawes Double Blue, 1976 Raleigh Gran Sport, 1975 Raleigh Sprite 27, 1980 Univega Viva Sport, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1984 Lotus Classique, 1976 Motobecane Grand Record

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked 660 Times in 351 Posts
I'm rousing this thread from a five-year coma because I recently came up with what seems to me like a fairly neat solution to the Miyata 1000 seatpost binder-bolt problem, since the fitting on the seat lug is such that standard binder bolts don't fit.

The pictures pretty much tell the story. A standard M6 stainless-steel socket-head bolt from the hardware store just fits the lug. A 20 mm bolt is a couple of mm too long, so I used a 16 instead. It would have gotten a little more thread engagement by filing or grinding the 20 mm bolt down to about 18 mm, but the 16 seems fine. The original cylindrical Miyata nut was slotted for a screwdriver blade. That never worked very well (see previous posts in this thread), so in its place I used a mounting nut pilfered from a set of Jaguar brake pads. It's a perfect slip fit in the recess on the seat lug.

The result is a functional improvement on the original, since now you can use an allen wrench on both the nut and bolt. It also looks good, at least to me to me--more like something that could have come from the factory than the kludgy appearance you get from using a longer bolt, washers, and a conventional nut.

Also included is a gratuitous shot of the bike itself, which I just finished building up but have not yet ridden. You can also see the woodpile to my sauna, part of the sauna itself, and--in the first picture--some of my laundry hanging on the clothesline.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
seat lug, bolt removed.jpg (75.6 KB, 337 views)
Jaguar brake pads.jpg (100.6 KB, 329 views)
nut and bolt.jpg (68.6 KB, 336 views)
drive side, bolt in place.jpg (85.2 KB, 341 views)
1981 Miyata 1000.jpg (101.8 KB, 338 views)

"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long."
--Ogden Nash

Last edited by jonwvara; 06-12-15 at 12:13 PM.