View Single Post
Old 06-13-15, 05:17 AM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
I had a few "drop" episodes on today's commute. In the morning I caught up to someone about my age riding a CF Specialized. (I suppose I should mention I was riding my Motobecane Champion Team, so maybe the bike comparison was even. ) We said hellos at the stoplight at Woburn's Four Corners. He jumped the light but I caught him again quickly and eventually pulled away. Score one for the vintage bike.

On the return I was handed some comeuppance by a rider taller and younger 'n me along the same stretch of road. No way I could have kept up with him. Further along after bombing down the hill past the radio towers on Concord Rd in Lexington I caught up with two more commuters. I thought at first they were friends riding together They were going slow enough that I had to pass, called out and went around. The one in back passed the other guy and tried to keep up and hung with me for a bit. By the time we got past the meadow which feeds Beaver Brook he had given up. Score for the day 2-1, advantage vintage.

IIRC, I was shut down unambiguously by at least two other riders earlier this week. But I don't remember exactly. I try to forget such events.