View Single Post
Old 06-14-15, 05:52 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Originally Posted by Road Fan
Also, Mondonico always was advertised as having "stage race geometry," and my two are a bit more laid back than modern roadies. The moniker was supposed to indicate that the bike will feel reasonably comfortable for a TdF or a Giro d'Italia (i.e. for a super-trained rider) and I can say I have been happy on these bikes for 60 milers. More so than my Treks, actually.
Some sad news, not quite on-topic - my older (1984 or so) Mondonico is no more as of yesterday. We were riding about 16 mph on a Metropark path when a deer crossed 100 feet in front of me. Dear Mrs. Road Fan said "Look, a deer!" So I did. Then as I passed the deer's path, I looked at where the deer came from to see if there are more. A moment later I felt the bike on the grass, headed into a drainage ditch which had large river boulders in it. I hit among the boulders, the bike flipped, and I landed on a boulder on my helmeted head. Both the TT and DT are badly creased. If I get those tubes replaced, I could have it in shape again, perhaps. But my days with that bike are done.

I'm well, nothing broken, no sign of concussion. Shoulder is sore, I have a few scrapes, and I totally fractured a Giro helmet. No other apparent damage on the bike - fork seems good, as do the wheels.

But that's why the helmet was there.

Last edited by Road Fan; 06-14-15 at 05:57 AM.