Old 06-15-15, 11:38 AM
bruised

Bikes: Salsa Beargrease Carbon, Sette Razzo Carbon 29er

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by scrming
Had that very discussion with my cousin who is a Cat 1 racer this last weekend... I'm doing a lot of informal training and doing the Cat 5 races... but I have to make sure I keep it fun and it doesn't become work because the last thing I can afford is to get burned out and revert back to my old lazy ways!
scrming - you and I have 'chatted' in the past, I believe we've arrived to where we're at via a similar route and for similar reasons (weight loss / life goals etc). Your comment here: "last thing I can afford is to get burned out and revert back to my old lazy ways!" is my driving force. I think I'm a little lazy when it comes to physical exercise and I do have to force myself to get up and get out, even now.
I think that improving my fitness will put more places within reach, and that opens up new doors and maintains the incentive to keep going. For example, I'd like to do the 'Dirty Kanza' event at some point in the future, not as a competitive event but with at least a good chance of finishing.

A few weeks ago I rode the Bear 100 event. It was 100 miles on gravel / dirt / sand / tarmac and it bloody near killed me. I made it around (and didn't finish last) but it was a pretty undignified ending - so I'd like to do it next year and do it better/faster.

They're basically baby steps and who knows where it might lead. But the point is I need to keep trying to take longer steps, and I think training and improving fitness will help. If it gets in the way of the enjoyment then hopefully I'll be able to stop and revert back to recreational riding, without stopping and reverting back to doing nothing - which like you is my biggest fear.

Hope that makes some sense...