Old 06-16-15, 07:01 PM
B1KE

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by twocicle
When you switched out the BB7 calipers, did you also switch out the Avid caliper adapter bracket? Avid adapters are a different height than standard due to the allowance for the CPS washers, etc. If you are still using the Avid adapters, then your pad height is probably not correct and not sitting fully within the rotor's braking surface area (would be too low with the Avid brackets).

You can try to clean pads or scuff them up, but personally I wouldn't bother going that route. Changing out the shipped TRP resin pads for a set of new standard Shimano resin pads is a good test. I never felt the need to go with sintered (metal) pads, but some people do use those for maximum bite and longer pad wear. Some of that choice determination is governed by riding style... near constant usage, or quick & hard. Resin pads tend not to hold up under constant braking.

BTW, I've long gone from the solid steel Avid rotors to types that have a separate brake surface and spider (ie: Shimano ICE XT rotor or Hope V2 floating rotor).
I didn't use an adapter when I had the Avids and an adapter came with my Spyres but I didn't use it. I'm riding a 2014 Specialized Secteur Elite if that helps. Should I be using the adapter?

I also feel the modulation is really weak and not linear on the Spyres like it is on the avids, no matter how I adjust them. I have a feeling these are going back to be returned and I will be going back to Avids.