TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by Jarrett2
Cool, thanks for the info. I recently got a used bike that had 5-year old Rival/Force setup and I dig it. When I replace those components, I intend to go SRAM. Just wasn't sure if Force or Red.
I'd probably go Force just for cost saving reasons. The reason I picked Red shifters the first time I built my bike up back in 09 or whatever it was... maybe 10, anyway, I got all Force but put Red shifters on because only Red had zero loss shifting on both sides. I believe Force has it as well now. Anyway, you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference between the two IMO.

Originally Posted by indyfabz
After many years of riding SRAM I recently switched back to Shimano (DA 9000). It took me about 5-6 rides to completely retrain my brain to use the DA shifters properly. I kept trying to use the inside lever to shift both up and down. Didn't work so well. I am starting a tour tomorrow on my LHT. When I return home and jump on the road bike for the first time I will probably reach down for the non-existent bar end shifters.
It took me a YEAR to stop downshifting my SRAM drive train (when I wanted to upshift) after being on Ultegra forever. We had loaner bikes on our recent trip to Italy (Ultegra triples) and I think I mis-shifted once or twice in 200 miles, so not bad. It was nice to get back to my SRAM levers though. I guess I just like the positive mechanical feel - the ultegra shifters felt mushy to me and I missed that loud *BAM* when I shifted.

Oh, and I really enjoy being able to shift while braking. I guess I do that a lot more than I thought.