Old 06-18-15, 06:48 AM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3806 Post(s)
Liked 3,331 Times in 2,173 Posts
Originally Posted by big chainring
^Can I find that at Performance?^

I have an assortment if cotter but they are getting old. Used on various cranks.

Do you have a recommendation on where to get good cotters? These are 9mm, correct?
iirc the pin vise i use is a maeda one. i have had both but prefer the maeda partially for its spring action. checked online and was unable to find an image of it so posted the var.

yes, 9.0mm is the french cotter size. light and medium cuts cover everything but peugeot which has a very heavy cut. 9.0mm is also the italian size. britain and asia use 9.5mm (actually fractional but 9.5 for all practical purposes). some germanic manufacturers use an 8.5mm - somewhat rare.

if the mark on a cotter's face from the spindle is not too heavy they can often be reused by filing the mark to regain a smooth face. if one uses a press for removal it is usually possible to get them out without damaging stud.

sorry, cannot assist with sources. my tools purchased 30-45 years ago. have not purchased cotters in about thirty years. subject of cotter sources has come up in forum discussions. try a search with a phrase such as "crank cotter sources" or "cotter pin sources."

----------

the frame's seat binder ears appear to be damaged. this was likely due to running a too small pillar. is present shim arrangement something you came up with or did bicycle/frame come to you with this? iirc o.e.m. pillar size for these is 25.4mm.

how did tange san come to find his way into the frame's head tube?

Last edited by juvela; 06-18-15 at 06:50 AM. Reason: correction