Old 06-18-15, 07:01 AM
WebFootFreak

Bikes: Modified Denali

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 17 Posts
There was a post on another board questioning if it was possible to be too slow to race. I think my replay there fits here as well.

There is a reason I refer to triathlons as "events" rather than "races". When I go, I am there to participate in an event. I am there to test myself both with speed/time/etc and with completion. I am there to connect with like-minded people, check out the new shiny toys in the tent that I probably will never have a need for (much less be able to afford), and ultimately to have a good time.

The only person I am competing with is myself. I am slow in the water... but I am getting faster. I am not so slow on the bike... but I am getting faster. I am so slow in the run that facing the other direction would probably get me to the finish quicker... but I am getting faster. I am slow in transition... but I am getting more organized . At Riverbluff last year, I finished DFL Clyde and 3rd from last overall in the sprint. However, when I crossed that line the cheers were just as loud for me as the cheers I heard for the people finishing as I was coming back from the bike. I still get a little verklempt when I think about how I've felt coming across each finish line.

Will you notice the distance? Probably. Would it be worth it to push for that distance? That answer is entirely up to you, but I would say "absolutely"

Last edited by WebFootFreak; 06-18-15 at 07:07 AM.