View Single Post
Old 06-18-15, 08:41 AM
Unkle Rico

Bikes: CENTURION / LOOK / Bianchi

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Are the dropouts not large enough to handle the chain length difference between the 17 and 20? I guess i just picture having the axle towards the end of the dropouts with the 17t and then when switching to the 20t you'd just slide the axle forward to gain some slack back in the chain. You wouldnt have to undo the chain at all for a situation like that.

Originally Posted by Bakersb View Post
I've googled whether it is safe to frequently connect and disconnect a master link, but many sources said it depended on the chain and the speed.

If I were using two Izumi V chains, and I used a standard 1 1/8 KMC masterlink, would it be possible to disassemble the masterlink frequently? I have a 47x20t freewheel configuration and a 47x17t fixed gear configuration I would like to switch between frequently(somewhat), and I don't want to take out pins every time I need a longer/shorter chain. Would a masterlink be an appropriate solution to this? I've heard that you should've reuse a masterlink that you have taken apart. I would prefer not to buy a new masterlink everytime I switch but I guess that is okay.

Basically, is it safe to disassemble and re-connect masterlinks frequently on a 1 1/8 track chain? If not, what are other solutions?

Thanks and sorry for the noob question, happy riding!