View Single Post
Old 06-19-15, 08:00 AM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1126 Post(s)
Liked 253 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by leob1
Do you live on an unpaved road too? It make me nuts that every time I take out my matt black bike is has a layer of f'n dust no matter how much I clean it.
That's why I hate black too, don't get me wrong glossy black will shine like a mirror when polished and look fantastic, but I have black car and just a drive down the road and it gets dusty/pollen looking quick. Black is a very high maintenance color. I have a matt black fork and gets dirty looking faster but no where near as fast as high gloss black.

Matte black is easier to care for than gloss black but it has issues, like never try to remove even the tiniest of scratches from the surface or you damage an even larger area! Fortunately, unlike gloss black, matte black actually hides scratches better because light is diffused and thus muting the appearance of scratches. Also need to make sure that you quickly remove bird crap, bugs, gum, and sap because if that stuff is left on too long it will damage the paint, but don't use any harsh solvents, acetone, ketone, etc, WD40 works but you must wipe it with a clean cloth afterwards and let it dry for 48 hours. Avoid using any wax products that contain any sort of abrasive which you can tell from the wording on the product, words removes oxidation, or removes swirls, etc. Clean the surface really well, first spray the area down with water then use very mild soap like Meguiars Deep Crystal car wash, never use a combo wash/wax or a wash/conditioner, and then in a 2nd bucket you have clear water and you rinse out your cloth or mitt (sheepskin mitt is best to use) in it before using the mitt to wipe off the suds. Most car manufactures that have matte painted items on their cars recommend that you use Meguiars Ultimate Quick Wax in a spray applied to a microfiber cloth.

There are some places that will sell you what they call a specialized product for matte paint, like Chemical Guys and Doctor Beasley, but that stuff is awfully expensive and can be done just as well with Meguiars for pennies a wash instead of dollars a wash. Dish washing soap, even the mild Dawn has certain fillers that can over time damage matte finishes. Even most bike care products like Pedros Bike Lust will over time change the flat matte appearance to a low luster look which isn't what matte is suppose to look like nor have the original look that was intended, and continue use will slowly change it to a satin black. Some people may prefer the flat look of matte to be more glossy, then that's fine, but it's not what the factory intended it to look like. Also do not use Windex on any painted surface including matte because over time it will destroy the paint. Any product with silicone in it, be it wax, wash, oil, etc should be avoided on matte finishes.

Over time the black matte finish will slowly turn to gray, when that happens you can wipe it down with a rag dampened with WD40, which contains no silicone, and it will restore the black, rewipe with clean microfiber cloth then make sure you let the WD40 dry for 48 hours or grit will stick to finish as you ride, then after it's dried use the Meguiar's Ultimate Quick Wax spray to restore the wax protection that the WD40 took off.

I said all of that only to tell you now that on my flat black fork I simply hose it off with water and only water, then wipe it with a wet microfiber cloth! It's really that easy, I have yet to have to use WD40, soap, wax, nothing, all the above stuff is for those who want to fuss more. I think that Enve put some sort of clear coat on my fork because it's very easy to care for whereas some matte black finishes I've seen doesn't look as good as mine.