View Single Post
Old 06-19-15, 09:22 AM
ChainsonVelvet

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Late father's T J Quick - advice please

I have recently had my late father's T J Quick rebuilt.

He was ill in 2001/2 and stripped the bike in May 2002, labelling the components as he did so, to have the frame resprayed. Unfortunately he passed away before the he had the chance to rebuild his bike.

Some 13 years later Madgetts cycles of Diss, who organised the original respray, rebuild the bike for me using the labelled components. It has a Sachs rear deraillier, and Stronglight cranks, whilst the frame is made of Reynolds 531 tubing.

A few things puzzle me and I would appreciate advice on the possible age of the frame, as the straight fork style seems unusual, and maybe some thoughts on why the frame is built to run cantilever brakes (cyclocross style), but has very tight rear wheel to frame, and front wheel to fork, gaps.

He did live in Deptford (South London) in the 1990's and also left me a Witcomb frame (which was in bad condition, but is being restored), suggesting that he bought from local hand built frame makers. Both have similar fork styles, so does this suggest it was a geographic thing or a 90's frame style?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
009 edited.jpg (101.5 KB, 1067 views)