View Single Post
Old 06-20-15, 04:34 PM
aaronmcd

Bikes: Cervelo S5, Marin Gestalt X11

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 45 Posts
Red Kite crit 3/4, 40 minutes flat and wide. Pack.

Frank (strong guy) always takes off near the start. He went 2nd lap solo. I watched for anyone else to go with. No one went, and after 10 minutes or so I look around and about 8 of us have a random gap so I to the front and drill it for a half lap. A couple more join us but the too many wouldn't or couldn't work. I rotated through in turn in hopes of keeping others motivated, but wasn't optimistic and wasn't about to blow myself up for a doomed break.

We were caught about 25' in. I had a teammate who was willing to help me in a sprint, but I'd much rather get away before that. 8 to go a guy goes solo, and no one wanted to work. I figured they'd chase if I went so I stayed put, but watched for the move. 4 1/2 to go, SJBC junior attacks, one guy on his wheel, no one else moving so I jump on. He eases, I glance back see a gap and take off after the solo guy and get away. Catch him 2 laps later, get a slight rest but he is going way too slow, I come around, settle into 3 minute pace. Field coming up strong, catch us and attack at the bell. I struggle in for a pack finish.

I was feeling good, and hoping for better today, but at least I gave it all I had before utter defeat. 2/3 race coming up, we'll see how it goes.

Last edited by aaronmcd; 06-20-15 at 04:39 PM.