Thread: road usage
View Single Post
Old 11-10-05, 01:46 AM
Raiyn
I drink your MILKSHAKE

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR Comp, 1999 Specialized Hardrock Comp FS, 1971 Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Flak
Are there good intermediate tires that provide decent grip off road, but are still ok for the pavement? Something a little less knobby perhaps? Different compound maybe?
There are several types availiable, but I generally don't recommend "compromise tires" as while they can be used for both on and off road terrain they excel at neither. My suggestion is to get a good set of slicks such as the Specialized Nimbus and either buy a second wheelset or learn to change tires quickly. I have a set of Nimbus EX's that I've used on my commuter for the last 4+ years with ZERO complaints.

If you absolutely HAVE to have a "compromise tire" I'd suggest the Specialized Crossroads line. I tried these before I bought the Nimbus tires and I wasn't overly impressed with them. They were adequate for both road and trail, but the loss of offroad traction was palpable and the speed gain on road was minimal at best.