Old 06-24-15, 12:25 PM
trainchaser

Bikes: my bikes: Old: 1965 Schwinn 10 speed, 72 Monshee 12 speed, 77 Norco 12 speed, 95 Trek 850, two Specialized Crosstrails, 2016 Specialized carbon Sirrus. New 2020 Trek FX1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
Has this been verified anywhere? I assume it's because of A1 aluminum vs. the M4 aluminum or are there lighter components on the Comp?

I just recently bought a Crosstrail disc ($600 model) because it was what I could afford, but I wouldn't mind upgrading it in a year when I have some more $$$ available.
Hi, the bike mechanic I was working with weighed them in the store so they know the actual differences. The M4 aluminum alloy is lighter and I'd assume that some of the higher line components are lighter as well, both the Comp and the Expert have compact double chainrings as opposed to the larger and heavier triple on the other bikes so they're lighter for no other reason than there's less metal being used. The rims and the seat tube are distinctly different and maybe they use lighter handle bars, the only thing that appears to be the same throughout the line are the tires.