View Single Post
Old 06-25-15, 08:19 AM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Hangtownmatt
Seriously? 3400 miles out of Schwalbe Marathon Supremes? I log my miles so I know for a fact I got just under 10,000 miles out of a set of 700X35 Marathon Supremes. I could of gone further but i had a big ride coming up and didn't want to risk it.

I can share with you my experience with these tires. For the first 2,000 miles I kept them inflated to 80 psi front and rear. I had 5 flats in that first 2,000 miles and I was pissed (disappointed to say the least). For an unrelated reason I decided to lower the pressure to 50 psi front and 60 rear. The ride on these tires really improves when they get down in the 40psi range. What I'd like to share is that after lowering the pressure I never had another flat for almost 8,000 miles. I did rotate these tires front to rear approximately every 3,000 miles. (one of the benefits of logging miles :>)) Here's what they looked like when I finally trashed them. I was so impressed that I actually cut them to see what was actually left:

It's usually not a good idea to rotate bike tires, because you want the best tire to always be on front, and the rear tire is almost always more worn that the front. Except of course if you get a new tire, put that on the front and rotate the older front tire to the back.

ughh I just had my road bike's rear tire rupture spontaneously while I had the bike in the work stand last night. It was one of my bike's original tires that had been hanging on a hook for awhile, and I had just put it back on a few weeks ago to replace a tire that was more worn. I think there was a cut in the tire and the tube ruptured through the cords at that cut.

That makes 3 rear tires in the 7,200 miles I've put on the bike.