don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 352 Posts
tl;dr
I "think" this is the thread topic:
Originally Posted by jfowler85
I'm new to this. Thinking about registering for a gravel century next month; the route is all over the place, lots of turns out in the countryside. How is this done without a gps? Does anyone do that anymore? Basically, my budget is too tight for a gps at the moment, and to be honest I'm just kind of cheap.
I'm guessing that navigating a gravel route might be harder than a paved route. The road signs might be incomplete or gone.
If it's an event ride, you'll see lots of bike tire tracks indicating the route.

Originally Posted by unterhausen
when I'm using the CSPS (cue sheet positioning system), I use the distance between cues. Everything else is just a distraction, and there are no cumulative errors. I don't use a distance measuring device either, I find it really distracting if the distances are off. I have been mainly using my GPS recently, but I always prepare by knowing the route as best as possible.
I've been depending on GPS, and now I usually don't have any paper copy of the route with me, even in areas I've never seen before.

Back in the distant past, at least 5 year ago, I edited my own cue sheets. I copied the automatic cue sheet from the mapped route (usually ridewithgps.com) and cleaned it up:

I added "Tee" to the roads that ended at a T intersection. Then I knew I didn't have to pay much attention until that turn.
I bolded or highlighted turns off the main road that would be easier to miss.
I added occasional "crossing highway X" or "reaching smallville" notes even if there's no turn so I would know I was on track.
I dropped the "continue on Route 123" entries where the name of the road changed, or the only turn is a short distance dead end road.
I merged the multiple "Turn Left", followed by "Turn Right in 200 feet" entries into one "Left, then Right..." entry.

Many automatic cue sheets are way too wordy. "Turn Left" should be just "L" for example. I liked a fairly narrow strip of paper, but with letters large enough to easily read.

This also helps a lot by making me review the route in detail before the ride.

Yes, bringing some kind of map is necessary if you accidentally go off route or a road is closed.

Last edited by rm -rf; 06-26-15 at 04:58 PM.