Old 06-28-15, 03:18 PM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 181 Posts
Some years ago Congress passed a law exempting merchants from collecting sales taxes on internet purchases from out-of-state vendors provided those sellers did not have any physical presence in the state where the buyer is located. It was done mainly for small vendors who found it difficult and expensive to collect the taxes which might vary considerably even within a single state depending upon the city or county where you live. Of course states hate this because they want that revenue. In my own state, Nevada, they convinced Amazon to collect sales taxes in spite of not having a physical presence. So, I buy fewer things on Amazon these days. I can understand assessing sales taxes on local businesses because they and you use the services provided (police, fire, street maintenance, etc.) but I too don't want to pay for those services at a far away business. At least Amazon is sending the tax money to Nevada. I had one business in Phoenix (Sonora Desert) charge me sales tax on a mail order purchase but when I complained, they removed the tax. Check with the Florida seller and see if they will remove the tax. It appears that Florida may be ignoring federal law if the seller does not also have a store or warehouse in Arizona.