Old 06-29-15, 08:23 AM
WalksOn2Wheels
Vain, But Lacking Talent

Bikes: Trek Domane 5.9 DA 9000, Trek Crockett Pink Frosting w/105 5700

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1525 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 42 Posts
My personal experience: I'm way too fat (like 230+ pounds as of late...) and have thrashed my Domane 5.9 on some rough roads, including a metric century with pavement/gravel mix and some of the roughest Texas chip and seal known to man. I haven't even had a wheel go out of true. These are the RL (Race Lite) rims that came with the bike.

There are Race, Race Lite and Race X Lite wheels in the Bontrager lineup. From what I can tell, the R and the RL rims are the same, but with different hubs. The RXL rims are thinned a bit, with more material at the eyelets. I worked at a Trek dealer for 2.5 years and the only cracked Bontrager rim I saw was like 10+ years old on my FIL's bike. And we had some hard riding customers.

In the past, Bontrager rims were infamous for hub issues, but a while back they switched over to DT Swiss internals for the RL and RXL rims.

I'm just one guy and I only worked at one shop, but I thought I'd mention these things so that people aren't under the impression their Bontrager rims will asplode at any second.

Standard YMMV rules apply.

Opinions of this BFer are his own and do not represent Trek Bicycle Corporation, Bontrager, or other subsidiaries.

Side note: in general, BF folks tend to have way more issues with rims than any other cyclist I personally know. Someone mentioned Open Pro rims. If you read BF, they fail like once a year. I have a set of rims I have put several thousand miles on over 4 years and I have had zero issues. They rarely go out of true and I haven't had a cracked eyelet yet. And I've always been over 200 pounds. What the hell are you people doing to your wheels?