Old 06-29-15, 12:05 PM
floridamtb

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL6, Trek Madone 4.5, Trek X-Caliber

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by telebianchi
Or, actually, who many miles until you pull a spoke through the rim.

Answer: 5765.3 miles.

The wheel is on the rear of my 2014 Domane that I bought in October 2013.
About a month ago the wheel was a bit out of true and a local shop put it back straight.
Since then I've done rides of 64, 80, 103 and 71 (plus shorter weekday rides). After the 71 this past weekend I noticed it was out of true again and just grazing brake pads. I set it up to put it back in true tonight and noticed it was even worse -- which was strange since the bike had just been hanging on the wall for the past five days. Once I sat down to figure out which spokes I needed to tweak it became real obvious what the problem was.

Funny, I have never busted a road wheel. I have a set of Neuvations I bought in summer 2008 that probably have over 10,000 miles including a number of CX races, light single-track and loaded commuting. Most I've had to do with them was maybe a quarter to half turn on a couple of spokes after CX season last fall. A set of Mavic Open Pro/Ultegra wheels have been flawless with similar type of use.

Oh, well. Crap happens. I was definitely putting some miles in on some winter-ravaged roads this spring full of potholes and patches.

10,814 miles on mine since July 2013. I also got Trek Care+ so if anything happens I'm covered through Dec 2016. Have them check with the local Trek rep, they should be able to do a good will warranty replacement as that's too soon.